Skip to main content

Individuals will Fail

Being a leader takes many things, communication skills, organization, people skills, patience, and well planning, and typically leadership is shown as a sideways pyramid. Keeping everyone as equal, with one person overseeing the entire whole. This very traditional way of viewing leadership is almost outdated. In a recent TEDTalk given by Lorna Davis on leadership, she discusses this and how it can be almost detrimental. Davis’s idea is that independent leadership is not the solution, she states “the idea that one person has the answer is ludicrous. It's not only ineffective, it's dangerous,” she goes on to talk about how we need one another, and because of the interconnectedness of our world and society, that a single person holding all the answers is nearly impossible. It’s a typical superhero approach, and can lack so many aspects of being a good leader. Collaborative leadership allows for a network of individuals to have a say together, finding solutions that solve the issue, and being in a diverse number of angles and viewpoints. She continues discussing goal setting as a way of leadership, traditional “hero” leaders make big announcements and bring a call to action waiting for big results, whereas, interdependent leaders in collaborative settings create goals that allow for group effort, and are more similar to asking for help than making a declaration. 

I think that this can be a valuable lesson on the side of failure too. Sometimes, the reasons we fail, whether in leadership roles, or not, is because we try to play “hero” and be independent. The fear of asking for help, or the stigma surrounding it makes it such a deterrent. However, asking for help can lead to even greater successes. Playing “hero” and having the great ideas independently make a person feel good, but collaborative leadership can yield so many greater things than struggling independently. Failure does not go away just because more people are added to the project, but it becomes less likely due to numerous collaborators. Obviously, one important thing is the mindset of teamwork, if each person tries to act independently in a collaborative setting, nothing will be accomplished, it needs to be collaborative. I have experienced this in my own life. My senior year, I was elected one of the speech captains, along with 3 others. We all had our own ideas and sharing the titles was a disaster to say the least, but with time, we learned that working together and collaborating made things go a lot better for us, and the rest of our team. When we started working together so much more got accomplished and we all saw better results. There was no more fighting and everyone was okay with sharing the title. Our team had a successful season, and it became so much fun working together. That collaborative effort taught me that it is okay to ask for help, and then it can be so fruitful when others help. New ideas and different outlooks can really be helpful when it comes to success. 
Pictures show myself, with the other captains on our speech team.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset

Growth is not linear, neither is progress. I cannot start something today, and only see positive results moving forward, and so many people are stuck under that expectation that they will always get a positive result. That is so far from true, growth is not a once track path to the top, but filled with many ups and downs along the way. By the time success is reached, the path to get there will look more like a roller coaster than a staircase. So many people get discouraged and feel like failures when in reality, they do not understand that growth is not linear, and will not happen from simply trying one time. There are ups and downs to reaching success, and I, like many others have experienced them in my life and the endeavors that I choose. I want to share a brief story about a time when I didn’t have a growth mindset, and that was during my senior year of high school. I was taking an advanced class, Calculus I and II, it was an experience to say the least. We were talking about some ...

Lacking or Slacking? Maturity

So many times when I experience failures I hate taking responsibility for them, I would rather just make excuses for why something didn’t work or why I failed. While a lot of that is mindset, there is part that is purely maturity. Oftentimes we blame the lack of something perhaps, lack of knowledge, lack of ability, or skill, or resources. While some of those are true in many instances of failures, in many cases the problem is slacking. Did I have the time or the ability to gain knowledge, skill, or resources and choose not to? That would be slacking. When people make a conscious choice to avoid something that could help them later on, that is on them, not other people, not on lacking what they need. I do not like the word laziness because there can be a number of reasons why someone did or didn’t do something for the benefit. However, I go back to maturity, because that has a lot to do with how we react in situations and how we go about fixing them. I have two short stories to share a...

About the Author

Hey there! Before I jump into the details of my blog, I wanted to share a little bit about myself, and my purpose for writing this as well. My name is Madison Beckler, and I am from Bismarck, North Dakota. I am the youngest of four siblings, two brothers and one sister. I have 4 nieces and nephews. I n May of 2022 I graduated from St. Mary’s Central High School, our class was relatively small, roughly 80 students. Some of my hobbies include listening to music, being outdoors and scrolling on Pinterest for recipes and DIY projects. My time outside is spent at my family’s cabin on Lake Tschida. There I like to kayak, paddle board, go on boat rides, jet ski, fish, and relax with my family. My family is very important to me, and I spent a lot of time with both my immediate and extended family. I also try to live my life being the best person I can be, helping others when I can and even holding onto some core values that help me to be the best version of myself. Some of the values I rely he...